Ocean ECO PRO is a new initiative in Bonaire; an intensive 6-day course where you will obtain in-depth instruction to learn more about sustainability and ecology in the dive industry.
ECO PRO was designed primarily as a career development experience for dive professionals (Divemasters & Instructors). However, there is no formal prerequisite except that you only have to be a certified diver. As the marine tourism industry expands and diversifies, the knowledge and skills gained from ECO PRO can be useful to those in various tourism fields, aside from diving. Topics such as ecotourism, marketing sustainability, citizen science, ‘voluntourism’ and environmental interpretation are relevant in a wide range of nature-based tourism businesses.
The course is conducted by Dr. Alex Brylske, a leading scuba diving expert & educator. Dr. Brylske’s unique and diverse background combines training as an educator and marine conservation biologist with a highly successful career in the dive tourism industry. This has given him both a solid grounding in environmental education and marine resource management, as well as an intimate understanding of the dive tourism industry.
Here is a general outline of the course, which we refer to as Ocean ECO PRO: The Environmental IDC.Book your course Contact us
- Module #1: Deconstructing the Dive Industry
- Module #2: Merging Business and the Environment: A Guide to Marketing Sustainability
- Module #3: Coral Reef Ecology for Dive Professionals
- Module #4: Coral Reef Restoration: The Science and Practice
- Module #5: Sharks in Depth: Ecology, Conservation & Ecotourism
- Module #6: Environmental Interpretation: From Tourist to Advocate
- Module #7: Citizen Science for Divers: Programs & Marketing Opportunities
Materials included in the program:
- REEF Check ECO dive kit
- REEF (Humann & Deloach) book set (Caribbean Reef Fish, Reef Creatures, Corals)
- Bonaire Ocean Life Guide
Count on 6 days to complete this course.
VIP Diving is the exclusive provider of the Ocean ECO PRO training in the Caribbean region.
PADI Specialty certifications
The course will include 6 open water dives to support the training. During the program, we include the option to receive the following PADI specialty certifications:
- Fish Identification
- Coral Reef Conservation
- Underwater Naturalist
- UV Night Diver
New dates are coming up when people can travel again.